About Dr Mark Piney
Mark has an MSc in Safety and Hygiene, a PhD in occupational hygiene, and is a Member of the Faculty of Occupational Hygiene, Specialist Grade MFOH(S). He has won the British Occupational Hygiene Society’s Thomas Bedford Memorial Award, twice, for the quality of his thinking, argument and writing. He’s also won the Thomas Bedford Memorial Prize for the quality of his work. And, finally, Mark’s won the Society’s Peter Isaacs Award for the impact of his work. Mark is friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, independent, and used to helping businesses large and small. He is semi-retired, and focuses mainly on the LEV Management training Courses.
His experience includes:
- Site investigations of the control of a wide range of substances hazardous to health.
- Inspections in support of enforcement, and management audits to improve the management of exposure control measures.
- Preparation of expert witness statements, and giving evidence in court
- Practical advice on development and application of exposure control measures.
- Expertise in the practical design and management of exposure control measures including Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) controls.
- Lead author of HSE’s LEV guidance (see here, here & here) and the originator of the HSL LEV Demonstration Model.
- Developing the BOHS-Approved one-day course for employers “Practical Management of LEV controls”, which he runs for the HSE Health and Safety Laboratory (link)